It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Friday, June 29, 2012

Getting Ready 2

Still not 100% about posting pics. (Talking over it and thinking about some photoshopping to blur face.) We will get back to you on the part so in the meantime,  I am going to go backwards and share a tiny bit of how we got ready for Di*na.

When you host, you are required to take a one-day training put on by some wonderful volunteers. In addition to that training you get access to a host families private facebook page and a manual. The facebook page is very active with previous and current hosts so it is a great resource. The manual is full of very good information...the kind you get by learning from mistakes. Not all the mistakes are from this organization. (There are many organizations that have orphan hosting.) so you don't get all the stories behind the 'rules'. But I really like the stories! (Do you know what I mean? Give me a rule and I will usually follow it. Give me a rule and tell me why is a rule and then I totally will  live and die by it!)

I tell you all this because 1.) I full expect some of you to host orphans one day soon.  (If we can do it then obviously anyone is capable!) 2.) not all the ideas of things we do and did are mine. Many come from veteran hosts.

We made Di*na a welcome poster to greet her at the airport.


We had a small gift bag waiting for her in the car.
 It contained these items:
Snacks, water, camera, magnetic USA map

It also contained a folder that we created for her. 
We put a lot of thought into the order of the pages but
 I am putting them up here in whatever order they load:
This calendar is from one of the leaders at our trainer. I was able to add specifics for our family. It is in both English and the two languages Di*na speaks.

The rules for our home: Ask before leaving house, drink water and milk anytime, eat healthy snack, fruit or vegetable anytime, and eat in the the kitchen. Not too many and the rest we can deal with as they come up.

Picture of her and Nan's room and a little information about it.

Just a reminder of our names. (Don't you hate when you have been around someone long enough that you can no longer ask them his or her name even though you forgot?)

This was a document someone posted on the facebook page. It is some guidelines for eating in a restaurant. It was a little young for her but it was already translated. It doesn't hurt to say too much.

Google map of the day's driving. It allows you to add a message at the top. So I name the three points on the map and what we would be doing at each. Translated them. I also translated the miles into Kilometers and the estimated time. She did take it out several times to have me show her about where we were on the map.

Personal letter - I translated it in google translate. It wasn't a great translation but I think she got the idea.

The letter in English. Everything in the book is in both English and her language.

Please note that I continue to be vague so that it isn't as easy to find us in a google search in case anyone is looking. I don't spell out her name or use her country or language. It makes this posts even more confusing and I am sorry.


If you want more information on hosting check out the New Horizon website here.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot believe how thoughtful, creative and organized you are!! This is fantastic! She surely felt extremely welcomed & loved.

    ReplyDelete