It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Thursday, July 5, 2012

1 Week Later by Michael

Michael wrote today's post:

How are things going? That is the question that I get asked several times a day. Is it annoying? Nope. I ask the same question everyday myself. The honest answer is emotional.

1 week ago today this beautiful teenager walked into our life. I can’t imagine how scary it was to come to a totally different culture while not speaking the language. What was her first impression of our family? 1 week later I still ask that question.

I thought we were prepared. People asked me over and over, how are you going to communicate with her? I love technology and was very confident that it would bridge that gap quickly and easily.  1 week later, I am frustrated by the translation software and how broken our conversations are.

What is she like? 1 week later, I am trying to decipher the real her and the fake her. There are times when I see her relax, let down her guard and laugh and smile and truly be happy. There are also times where I am not quite sure what she is thinking or how she is coping. (Yes, that is a taste of my own medicine. Thankful that Laura still loves me despite of this and understand her frustration with me!)

1 week ago today I added another daughter to my household. I made up my mind that when we signed up for hosting that I would give her my all. I try my best to be a great father to Nancy and Jojo and I strive to give them my all. Sometimes I do and sometimes I fall well short of the mark. Still I am determined to give her the same treatment. Hugs, kisses and attention. Laura had read an article about fathers withdrawing from their teenage daughters due to being “uncomfortable” by their changing appearance. I get a trial run as Nancy is growing up so fast and will be a teen before I know it. Hugs, kisses and attention. The same as if she were 1, 8 or 14.

I was told that my influence on her would be the biggest. Most have not been in a family setting before and pretty much all have never had a father figure around. 1 week later, I feel the pressure of modeling what a great father and husband should look like. I pray daily that my daughters will marry men that love, respect and cherish them. I try my best to show them this by how I love Laura and my interaction with her and hope that they will have high standards based upon this.

So, here we are 1 week later. How are things going? Great would be the answer I would love to give. The fact is I don’t know and am glad that God has His hand in this. It would be much scarier if He didn’t.

1 week later I am not so sure who this hosting experience has been better for, me or her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment