It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Ever need directions to use the...toilet?

My family will be embarrassed when they find out that I posted this. I am sorry but you can put it under one of my "For Real" posts.


Before we left the airport with Di*na a few weeks ago, we stopped by the restroom. The girls were both too intimidated to use the toilets. I was like, "What?!"

And then I took a look.




It was completely covered in plastic. For a moment, I thought maybe it was out of order.

Nope. It was an automatic toilet seat cover. Changed by waving your hand over the green light on the machine on the back of the toilet.

Poor Di*na! Seriously - this was way over my head and I could read the directions posted over the toilet.



Having to read in order to figure out how to use the toilet-Wow!- it was humbling.

Today we sat in church for the third week with someone who doesn't know any of the 'rules', any of the songs, and doesn't understand a word the guy at the front is saying. Today she held it together better then she has the past two weeks. Previously she had been obviously bored and unhappy - sighing, laying her head down, ect. Nothing too disruptive and things that would be completely overlooked if she were five years old but not overlooked when you are a beautiful, almost 15-years old.

Today, Jessica helped her find the spot we were reading in the Bible that is in her language. (The Bible is a gift from sweet friends family of ours.) Last week, I did the same thing but it didn't keep her attention very long. This week, she read and read and read. Not sure if it was because the 'nudge' came from Beautiful Jessica whom the girls long to please or because of the topic. (Yeah, it was God destroying Sodom....and all the stuff between Abram and Lot splitting up to the destruction of the city...sensational is an understatement!)

I remember sitting in a church service several years ago in rural Mexico not understanding the language but reading along in the Bible in my language. I don't know why it took me three weeks to get to that place but today I finally did.

Sometimes I am not as empathetic as I could be. I get frustrated when others (mainly Nan) aren't more understanding of Di*na.

Turns out I am a big, fat hypocrite.

FOR REAL: 
I need directions to use a toilet and to be more empathetic.

2 comments:

  1. I spent 4 years in Okinawa, Japan. Never did figure out which way was big flush and little flush. Then there were the toilets that had heated seats and sprayed and I'm not really sure WHAT all they did! Definitely intimidating! The squatty potties were much easier to figure out! Luckily I could find PLENTY of English speaking churches or ones that were translated. I enjoyed attending Japanese services as I learned a TINY bit of the language, but I was lost most of the time and made the preacher nervous because I didn't speak the language well. Yup, Poor Girl! Love the updates, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so far behind, but I appreciate your updates. I can't imagine what that must be like for her, sitting through an incomprehensible service. I'm glad she has a Bible in her language and is starting to read it.

    Oh, and the toilet made me chuckle--I've had to read the directions to use that kind also! :)

    ReplyDelete