It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Fun House Project

So the week before we began hosting, I think we were all nesting. Okay, not all of us...just Nan and I. We worked on this tiny house project together and it was so much fun!

We have an ugly door in our kitchen that goes to the water heater. It sort of drove me crazy because the walls are white and so is all the trim but this door. Pinterest got my brain going in the chalkboard direction. (According to Pinterest, you can make your own chalkboard paint, paint anything in chalkboard paint, and your life will be better and prettier.)

Nan painted the door for me. Getting two coats on in one day was no problem since they dried so fast in the heat!


We have a dry-erase board in the kitchen that I try to use only for school (and not for entertaining little people). It is the most tempting thing in our house for guests under the age of 15. So I thought this might be a good compromise. 


As I expected, as a new object the chalkboard has been overly used leaving us cleaning dust often. I am getting ready to hang our big add-a-day calendar back on the door but I just keep putting it off.

Our oldest has put her country's flag at the top, our middle has put her country's flag in the middle, and our nephew has put his country's flag on the bottom. (Can you identify the country each flag represents? Clue: my nephew used light orange instead of yellow.) My husband has wrote, "I love you!" (with a heart exclamation point no less!) I just am not ready to cover the artwork!

Now that I have a picture I will hopefully get around to hanging that calendar. (I didn't realize how much I used it!)

Notice that my husband bought me a door handle to match the rest of the hardware on our cabinets and that little bucket with a yellow (!) ribbon was $1. I love a project that is finished and turns out well...it makes me happy! 

This project cost $14 including new chalk.
 That makes me enjoy it even more!




1 comment:

  1. My kids all loved this idea and thought it was very cool when we visited! So the idea can still be "cool" for teens as well!! :) It looks great!

    ~Shawna :)

    ReplyDelete