It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Sunday, July 1, 2012

This is YOUR CHANCE

Do you want to do something 
beautiful for God?

There is a person who needs you. 

This is your chance.

Mother Teresa
This past week so many of you have contacted me because you have been reading about Di*na's visit and think you could possibly do something this like too. 

You can. You can. You can
 
It is a leap of faith.
 
It is scary.
 
It is hard. 
But it is totally worth it. 

Speaking of hard: Today was a hard day. She wanted to call someone special to her back in her home country. It is against the organizations rules. After she stomped upstairs, I reread the part of the manual aloud that dealt with phone calls.

I read it aloud not just because Michael, Jessica (who was visiting for the day), and Nan needed to hear it but because I needed to hear the reminder. 
It was hard to say no. I wanted to let her. How big of a deal can a phone call be???? 
But there are real consequences and I need to learn from other people's mistakes.
We stopped right then, held hands, and prayed together. Each one of the four of us lifting us a specific request regarding this situation. 

I went upstairs where Di*na lay on the floor crying and journaling. I translated that calls are against the rules. She simply wrote, "I know." I translated that I am sad that she is sad and that I love her. She crawled into my lap like a little child and just sobbed and sobbed. 

When she had composed herself. She came downstairs on wrote this on the board with the help of google translate. 

Then apologized. We just reminded her again that we love her and it is okay to be upset sometimes. 

It was hard to see her hurting. It was hard to follow the rules when breaking them would have brought some relief - even if only for a minute. Today was a reminder that sometimes there is not anything I can do to fix things. ALL I can do is to pray and share love. 

We spent the evening outside playing. There was lots of laughing (and soaking us with the sprinkler!). The laughing helps! 

Did I mention it is scary? Did I mention it is hard? 

But did I also mention:
It is totally worth it?


If you are thinking that orphan hosting (doesn't even have to be adoption!) is something you could do for God and that "person who needs you" then look into New Horizons and research some other programs: fostering, CASA, and Big Brother/Big Sister. Remember: this is YOUR chance!


2 comments:

  1. What a great post. I know it must have been so difficult, but I'd say you handled it beautifully with lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you handled it very well. I can't imagine how exciting yet difficult at the same time this trip is for her. I think this program is very cool and I'm hoping we can get together sometime so I can pick your brain about it! I have always wanted to host an exchange student but this sounds even better to me.

    ReplyDelete