It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Wednesdays

Recently, our Wednesdays are looking a little different.

I am sure that I have mentioned how much I appreciate our wonderful library ladies. Well, for months they have been telling me that I need to bring Jo to Preschool Story Time. I know that I should just listen to them but I thought she was too young. I finally tried it out a a few weeks ago....and of course, those amazing librarians were right!

I know that I am totally forgetting some things, rushing some things, and yet putting off some things that I need to do with Jo. Blame it on the age gap between her and Nan, I guess. All the things we do at Story Time are things I should be doing with Jo but didn't realize she was old enough. I am so glad that they kept after me because it has been such a wonderful addition to our week!

Wednesdays at 9:50 I drop off Nan at Auntie Karen's house. All of Jo's life, she has been the one dropped off in order for Nan and I to attend something just us. What a nice change!  Nan and Aunt Karen get one-on-one time while Jo and I get one-on-one time. Everyone wins!

Nan works on her math, CC memory work, and another assignment usually science. Aunt Karen is happy to teach one day a week and Nan is happy to learn from Aunt Karen, who "doesn't yell and actually makes it fun."  After school work, the two go out to lunch.

I would have never thought to give up some of my teaching duties to someone else. Yet, it has been such a blessing to us all. I am glad that Karen offered! I will most certainly use her the entire 2 years she is here!

Jo and I head to library to sit on little chairs, sing, listen to stories, make a craft, and eat cookies. It is so much fun! I hate changing the schedule and running around but I am so glad that I stepped out of my 'box' and made this change to our Wednesdays!

Would love to hear from you on small changes you have made in your life that brought small unexpected blessings!

Today's craft was making a jack-o-latern. Jo made that pumpkin face all by herself.

I had not been good about getting out craft supplies for Jo. SHE LOVES GLUESTICKS!

Miss P who leads story time. She is not a library staff member just a very special lady. Jo (and I) love Miss P!

9 comments:

  1. Ada loves glue sticks, too! She calls them "boo kicks"! LOVE IT! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo sticks is adorable. I hope you remember that! Nan used to called cheeseburgers "hamburgs with cheese." We still call them that! :)

      Delete
  2. We love having so many kiddos at story time! At the end of last year I was afraid my kids would be the only ones this year (though that is a full class!) It is good to see other families start as some of our "old" friends go on to new things:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love spending time with your family. Your boys are so enthusiastic about participating. I love to see that!

      Delete
  3. Gigi has used scissors for a year. She's 3 1/2 and LOVES cutting paper, using glue sticks, crayons. I throw a bunch of construction paper on the table, stickers, sometimes scotch tape and she goes to town! Keeps her very busy. I've tried to give Gigi the same opportunities as her sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good momma. We used to have a great art center...when sweet girl joined our family at almost 2, I had to put those things up. Jo started walking soon then...and I never put it back out. I was the preschool teacher who kindly lectured parents about giving their children access and practice. Oh, the what a hypocrite I have turned out to be! :)

      Delete
  4. good to hear you both are enjoying this time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it for both of them! What a great Aunt Karen to do some of the homeschooling for you (trying not to be jealous. . .) and special time with Jo will be a precious memory and relationship-builder for you!

    ReplyDelete