It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

You Know You Homeschool When...

... your daughter starts the day talking a mile a minute about the 7 Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.



I love when I see her pegs getting information hung on them and her lighting up about it. Confused?

A few years ago I would have been too. (Okay, even last year, I would have struggled to understand the crazy talk about pegs!)  Switching my mindset from my traditional, age-based classroom education to a Classical model of education has been harder than I expected.

Yesterday was a really dreadful homeschool day. 
It involved yelling, crying, 
and mentally putting together all the documents 
to send her away to boarding school. 

Thirty-seven minutes after walking into the kitchen and talking about the Wonders, Nan is still talking about the ancient world. 

I am not exactly sure what she is talking about it. The multiple theories on how the Pharaoh's lighthouse worked is certainly something I have never considered. Then again, I don't think I ever heard of it until she and I memorized the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World two weeks ago for Classical Conversations.

I think she might just be excited about what she is learning. I think she might be searching out information to learn more herself. I think she might be getting an education that I never had.

We may not be needing all those 
boarding school documents after all.





1 comment:

  1. :D Don't you love the way the Lord gives us those great affirmations after a rough day? And get used to it now--by the time your kiddos are teens, this will be your normal and you will feel very, very deprived of an education (which will make you read a crazy number of books trying to keep up with them, wink).

    ReplyDelete