It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Monday, January 28, 2013

My daughter better never....



As the mother of daughters, I cringe when I see quotes like this:


"I'm doing it very backwards, I know! I'll just keep my legs crossed this time."
Jessica Simpson, who is pregnant with her second child, but still wants to have a big wedding so is pushing back the date of her wedding...again.



"Technically I'm still married, so that joke doesn't really work … Give it up, people."
– Kim Kardashian, who is pregnant with her boyfriend's baby, talking about the jokes people make about her marriage. Yes, she is married to someone and pregnant by someone else!



If my daughters went on TV and said these things, I would die of shame.

This may seem a little hypocritical since I keep a blog and say personal things on it. (Is the only difference being that I am not famous so lot of people don't read it and care?)

Am I like them in sharing so many of my unfiltered thoughts? Or is it different? These women (I almost put girls but they both have to be about 30 years old!) are just sharing personal information about their sex lives.

Do they not even care that their words may be an embarrassment to their own children?

Or is this just an inherited behavior? 

Neither of these women have a mom who seems care that they say these things.



This may be the saddest thought of all: 
They are likely raising another generation just like themselves.


I need to remind myself that the words I let out of my mouth and share on this blog have the ability to effect my children's lives.

I would love to hear your (respectful) thoughts on blogging, saying too much, and if parenting mistakes are at least part of the reason Jessica and Kim over share!








2 comments:

  1. I don't think the mothers of these women can say anything because these are adults. They have been married, they live in the spotlight, they have sex (what?!?!), and are having babies. It's been happening like that for years. From the days of Henry the VIII to The Kardashians and Snooki. I think as the mother of young girls, we must talk to our daughters about such behavior if they are reading about it, seeing it on TV. My almost 8 year old doesn't know who these people are. She could care less. But blogging about something personal and being a celebrity whose every move is recorded and scrutinized is a different game. At least I think so. I see a blog as being a personal writing event. Yes, you do write about your own life events, but it's on your terms. Not on the paparazzi or the tabloids terms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I read this yesterday and that's all I could think. Well along with hearty agreement that my daughters better never as well. ;)

    I do think you bring up a good point about blogging. It's a fine line between tmi and being real or transparent.

    ReplyDelete