It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Monday, February 18, 2013

Lent: Reading

Here are a few resources that 

I have used in learning about Lent:



Stories from the Farm in Lucy Wisdom in the Waiting by Phyllis Tickle.
I really liked this book. If you have zero rural living it may not be the book for you though. The author shares life events from her families life on their farm weaving in Holy Week.

It is really a book of short essays so you can grab the book and read just one short chapter. Each one took me at least a day to really digest and think about it. One chapter is about grief with her descriptions putting words to a difficult bunch of feelings. Interested in checking out more by this writer...and hopeful that my friends Kris R and Joshua M are writing something along this lines. (Hint, hint Kris and Josh)




What We Do in Lent: A Children's Activity Book by Anne Kitch
This and the next book are meant to be workbooks for kid's. They allow you to copy some of the pages to use. I think they are good resources for Nan and I because they allow for some hands-on learning - mainly things like coloring, crosswords, and word searches but things that Nan enjoys. 




My Catholic Lent and Easter Activity Book by Jennifer Galvin





The Way of the Cross: Holy Week, The Stations of the Cross, and the Resurrection by Inos Biffi
Guess what? I loved this book that was meant for children. It used beautiful language and unusual imagery to explain the Holy Week. It also explained exactly what the stations of the cross are, which is something I did not know. Of all the books, I read or used, this is one that I think will be added to my personal collection.





This web page answered in a no-nonsense way the FAQs of Ash Wednesday. Click Here
I used it to help Nan and I know what to expect when we attended our first Ash Wednesday Mass with friends this past week. 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for inviting us on your journey and sharing all the great resources you have found. I am going to order that Galvin book for Cian next year! That looks great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete