It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Chicago Trip without the kiddos

Michael rarely has to travel further than his desk to the printer for his job as a Graphic Designer. Yet once a year, he travels out of town to the International Housewares show. We really are blessed that it is held "locally" in Chicago.

This year, we made plans for me to sneak away and join him for part of the time. Unfortunately, I had still not been able to shake the sinus infection I had picked up in Disney almost a month previously. Even more unfortunate, was that I was a fool and didn't visit a doctor until after our trip. (Once again, I apologize, Michael, and I love you!)

The nice part was that his hotel room had two beds each piled high with pillows (and no kids). So I was able to really rest during the trip. The sad part is that I didn't get out and about to explore the city during the day like I had done the previous year.

Still the trip wasn't a total bust. There were a few really nice things Michael and I did together:

1. Listened so some amazing music at the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. 

Just a page from my Playbill...Yes! I did get to see Yo-Yo Ma play!!! (It was my Christmas present from Michael.)



2.Spent time with a sweet friend and ate some amazing seafood at Catch 35.

yum. yum. yum.

 

3. Held hands and just walked around quietly taking in the sights at Art Institute. 

It always amazes me that you can be so close to such old and famous art! It was fun to snap some pictures and quiz Nan on who the artist were. She got this one correct with no hesitation. How about you...do you know who painted this?

 

 


4. Shared a bag of Chicago Mix popcorn from Nuts on Clark.

If you don't know what Chicago Mix is than I just feel sorry for you. Seriously, it is caramel corn and cheese corn mixed together. It was amazing even if I just had to pick out the cheese ones to eat because of Lent.


 It was my first time at the CSO and I loved it. I can't wait to go back and take Nan. It was Michael's first time at the AI. (Yes, seriously, he does have an art degree...and has never, ever been to the Art Institute!) It was so much fun to introduce him to some of my favorites, quiz each other on the artists, and see him enjoy it. Again, we knew both knew it was a place Nan would love. I almost couldn't enjoy the new Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Art exhibit because I knew how much she would have loved to see it. I think another trip is in our near future!

Is that a funny part of being a parent? You enjoy the time away from the children but still wish you could share the time and things with them? (But then you get home and a few days later you wish you were having a break from the very same children?!?!)


PS for my mom and the people who really, really know me : Please pat me on the back for not posting about every thing and every place I ate on our trip. I just hit the highlights (who am I kidding - it was all highlights: I love food!) as to not completely turn into the aforementioned mom...yet.





5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great trip! I know exactly how you feel about getting away. So nice to be away alone with your husband and at the same time missing your kids:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Art Institute and can't wait to take my Zoe there. We tried to go last year on New Year's Day (it was a time when it was just she and I in Chicago!) but it was the ONE museum in the entire city closed that day! Glad you had fun. We went a few weekends ago and had Superdawg. You need to try that sometime ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. An additional posting on all the places you ate is welcome for all of us food lovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eating, art, music, rest. . .what's not to love?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And it's been several years since my art appreciation unit in humanities class, but the elongated body has me guessing El Greco. ??

    ReplyDelete