It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Happy Pi Day



This afternoon we are mixing up an apple pie with an oatmeal crumble topping to celebrate Pi Day.

In order to be REAL, I need to clarify that it is a store-bought crust. I did make the filling but last year. (It was apple pie filling that we canned.) There isn't a recipe for our crumb topping. We start with a stick of butter (as all wonderful recipes do!) and add cinnamon, brown sugar and oats until we think it looks right.

OK, and the girls ate almost half the crumb topping before we put it in the oven. 

This pie will be a delicious dessert for us tonight but now it is a good lesson in cooking and math! The fun part about Pi Day is that Nan learned about Pi recently so she "gets" it. She has even tried to tell a few Pie jokes.




Dutch apple pie, warmed up with a scoop of ice cream is my very favorite! 
I will most certainly be partaking in a slice or two after Lent is over. 
Until then, I will live vicariously through you.

What is your favorite flavor of pie?

Are you celebrating Pi Day? 


1 comment:

  1. YUM!!!
    Dutch apple is my fav! My kiddos are picky and won't eat my favorite, so I made a (Raspberry) ice cream pie and Pizza Pie for Pi Day. We couldn't wait until after dinner so we ate the pie first, lol!

    ReplyDelete