It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Friday, March 22, 2013

Soccer Mom?

I like to pretend that soccer has not officially started at our house...but it has. 

 

Several weekends ago, I was excited when my husband shared, "It is going to be in the 50's on Saturday. It is going to be the perfect day to work outside." I was dismayed when he interrupted the verbal to-do list I was making with, "Oh, Laura! A work day at the [soccer] fields.

I knew right then, I had lost him....

and would not really have my husband back until November.

(When I typed that I immediately got that Wyclef Jean song in my head! Is it in your head now?)

The Collegiate Spring Season finds us following a few teams with the most important being Iowa State University Women's Soccer Team. Although in a neighboring state, ISU belongs to the Big 12. A conference my husband enjoys NOT enjoying. We happily put aside rivalries (Michael) and not really caring (me) to cheer on my cousin who plays for the Cardinal and Gold. The next few weeks will find us traveling to watch 3 games. Nan and Michael keep just as close tabs on the Illini Women's soccer team and lightly follow the EIU's men's team, which Nan's club team shares a coach.

Major League Soccer had its opening day a few weeks ago, which thankfully we missed this year. (Michael was reaffirmed in this decision once he saw video of them cleaning the snow off the seats the morning before the game.) The dates have been set for our family's annual Chicago Fire Game. Once again, Chicago attempts to have a professional women's team so we add at least one date for that.

The US National Team continues to play (yes, during the MLS season much to my husband's chagrin) and we have plans to watch tonight's game with another family. (even though it doesn't start until 9 pm our time) Did you know they just named a new captain? (Me neither until Michael told me last night...It is Dempsey wearing the arm band tonight.)


Closer to home, Michael serves on the Recreational Sports Board in our small town...as the only person for soccer. This means that he runs registration, finds and trains coaches, finds and schedules officiators, prepares the fields and equipment, schedules most games...while coaching Nan's traveling team and Moo-Moo's Preschool/Kindergarten academy model. Practice was supposed to begin this week for those two teams but didn't (Good news: the fields weren't the mud pit they were last week! Bad news: wind chill was at 16 degrees so the fields were frozen!) 

Michael also takes Nan to her Club team in a neighboring town. The only saving grace about this club team is that Michael cannot serve on the board there while he serves on the board in town. I am trying to believe that Michael is just another drop-off parent but he comes home saying things like, "I invited the coach to...." I can't figure out if he is really that passionate about soccer or if he has a sinister plan to make it so I WANT to be the one to take Nan to soccer and leave him at home.

Either way, I will soon be the mom in this picture except that last year Michael bought me a rolling cart to throw all my soccer watching/JoJo entertaining gear...and a giant sports umbrella that is wonderful but gives the impression (maybe rightly so) that I am hard-core soccer momma.



I still wouldn't consider myself as a soccer mom. 

I am more a soccer wife.

3 comments:

  1. Great read this morning Laura, It made me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tee hee. Before I read the post I was missing our soccer years. Now. . .not so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I feel your pain, lol!
    Someone introduced me to the term "soccer widow" which I for sure am!
    I have soccer free life about 2 months of the year, although my husband keeps telling me there is Florida soccer he wants to go do in the winter. As if Tennessee is not bad enough, lol!!
    And yes- we own a jumbo Sportsbrella! ;-)

    ReplyDelete