It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Spread Peanut Butter (and your love) around the globe

Yesterday as we were eating waffles for breakfast, I realized we had 5 different kinds of peanut butter. First of all, PB on waffles isn't something Michael and I grew up with. We were introduced to it by three great kids who spent some time with us while there parents were in Haiti on a mission trip. Our lives have never been the same. (Both from our freinds' willingness to do leave their children to help others and putting PB on waffles. Is is wrong to put sacrificial work and PB as both life-changing?)



I did grow up in a house that had two jars of the sticky peanut stuff: one creamy and one crunchy. (Please note my parents were on the same page about most things but sandwich condiments wasn't one. We also always had Miracle Whip and Mayonnaise.)

But how did I become a person with 5 jars of peanut butter? 

We live in a world of excess. It filters into almost every part of our lives....so much so that I forget that the majority of the world doesn't live as well as I do. A long-going joke with people living internationally is that they go back to their adopted foreign lands with a suitcase of American delicacies. PB being the most popular.

When we orphan hosted, we were told that PB was a very popular request for the kids to take home with them. In addition, it was a great gift for the children's orphanage directors and foster parents.

You know, it has been a while since I talked on her about orphan hosting. I think I was burning people out...I was afraid that I was becoming the person (or blog) you avoided because I only talked about one issue. It is still on my heart as is Di*ana. I am working on a post about all that soon. 

In the meantime....


There are children in Chin*, Latvi*, and Ukri*ne who have never tasted peanut butter! Be the family to introduce them to this American delicacy: Orphan host!


CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE


If you are even thinking about this, you can (for free!) fill out a pre-application. This allows you to view photographs and short bios of each child available. Sometimes we just need a face to go with what we know in our heads to make it real for our hearts.  Check it out. CLICK HERE

1 comment:

  1. I believe we have Skippy Naturally Creamy and I love your idea of hosting an orphan, I think I will do that. Oh heck while I'm at it I might as well adopt one!

    ReplyDelete