It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Thursday, March 28, 2013

To host or not to host?

This post is only for those many people who have contacted me about orphan hosting. 

If you know that you have zero interest or have never even thought about hosting,  PLEASE DON'T READ THIS. It isn't for you.

For everyone else here it is in a nutshell:

You  simply share your life with a child for 5 weeks. It really is that simple. Let a child (or children) play a role in your family, eat meals with you, be tucked in to bed at night by you, watch your tv, play in your backyard....it is simply an extended sleepover. These are simple things you are likely doing already with your own children.

I find that I keep using forms of the word simple. 
For Michael and I, it is simple: 
  • There is a need. 
  • We recognize the need. 
  • We do what we can to fill the need. 

Maybe you are over-thinking things?  
(I am guilty of this!)
  • Need: children need a place to stay for a few weeks while their orphanages close for the summer.
  • You recognize this need because I have brought it to your attention. (Just as a fellow homeschool mom brought it to my attention last May.)
  •  You do what you can to fill that need: Host, Pray, Donate, and Share so others can recognize.  
Michael and I are simple people without amazing parenting skills, an extra dose of patience, or a money tree growing in our backyard. I bet we are just like you...if we can do it, you can do it!

For those of you who consider yourself a Christian, I encourage you to read this blog post from another host parent. CLICK HERE.

I know that not all of you consider yourself Christians but you still care about orphans. Did you know that there are other organizations who do the same thing? The reason I blog about this particular organization is that it is the one with which I have a personal experience.  (If you end up going through another place, would you please come back and share your experience with us?)



I am going to include a few pictures of children available for hosting this summer. 

Maybe you will recognize a need among them. 








HOSTED!

PS: Notice I am including both sets of boys from other day's challenge between the Henry's and us. These two sets of brothers still need to find a place to stay this summer....please keep spreading the word!

1 comment:

  1. You may not think that you have amazing parenting skills but you guys are AMAZING parents. Thanks for putting my set of boys last so they remember them longer ;)

    ReplyDelete