It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Friday, April 19, 2013

a schedule and a lesson plan



Today...

we had a schedule and lesson plan. 


But... a friend needed a Diet Sierra Mist and hugs.

We did our Math and Bible, 
skipped chores,
and headed to the hospital 
(with a Diet soda)
for that friend.

That in itself is a lesson no textbook can teach: people are more important than any lesson plan.

Just a few block away from the hospital is the Illinois State Museum in Springfield. I had not been in almost 20 years. The website is poor so I was a bit uncertain what to expect. It is small but very nicely done, easy to get to, and FREE.




The children's part of the museum is set up so children pretend they are museum curators.

Digging for Fossils

Dressing a "display" like is it 1910

Setting up miniatures because sometimes things are too big to actually fit in a museum



At one time, I would have felt like a failure as homeschool mom for a day like today...

but now I know better. 

Today my children were purposely (although unconventionally) educated even though I didn't follow my schedule or my lesson plan.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! My favorite education days are the days with hands-on learning outside a classroom or even the walls of my house. Super fun and educational day! Yay!

    ReplyDelete