It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Thursday, September 19, 2013

For Real: Comparison



We live in a older neighborhood with people who have time and money to invest in things like their lawns. Our Homeowners Association meetings are hours of time wasted on things stereotypical "get-off-my-lawn" old people stuff.

We have a few sweet, dear neighbors but even they may be less than thrilled with our yelling, our weeds, and how our 3-year old daily empties our garage onto the front lawn and driveway.




Our Sorry! board game has been missing a few pieces for...well, years. We will still play it but just improvise using coins as game pieces.

On the other side of our subdivision, a couple was hosting a garage sale at their their well-maintained home in order to retire to Florida. I purchased a used sorry game for a quarter. I was hoping that it could replace our game or at least our missing pieces.

I had Nan set up both games so we could compare them.



It turns out our neighbor's game was missing even more pieces than our game. Between the two, we were able to put together a complete game (and have a few extra pieces just in case).


My game had more pieces! 

For me this was a reminder:

Other families have missing game pieces!


Anyone else ever forget that too? Not just missing game pieces but that no one else has it all together?

It has been a busy last few weeks and this blog along with other things (like housekeeping) have been neglected. I have totally felt like I don't have it all together and everyone else does.

Even my wonderful but so-old-and-stereotypical-it-is-funny neighbors once had children who lost their game pieces. That is life with kids. Wait!  That is just life.

For Real: I compare myself to others when I should be concentrating on my own work. (and I think that includes board games and  housekeeping)



Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won't need to compare yourself to anyone else. Galatians 6:4 (NLT)

2 comments:

  1. It's far to common for us to "worry" what others think. Instead we should be focusing on the people under our own roof more.
    To not expect perfection and to release ourselves from the madness more often. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love, love, LOVE this post!! I'm slightly farther along this journey than you are, so I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I have decided to always assume that everyone is a little bit of a mess, everyone is struggling, everyone thinks others are doing better.

    We're all missing game pieces.

    And when we come together openly and transparently, we can come up with a game that we can play and enjoy--together!!

    Did I mention I LOVE this post?? :)

    ReplyDelete