It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Saturday, February 22, 2014

What being For Real is (and what it isn't)

I just saw this conversation on a mommy-group on facebook:

A reader asks: "We now have two different Lego movie cups from McDonald's happy meal toys. They don't have a BPA free marking on them as far as I can tell,but dishwasher safe marking. How do we know for sure if safe? If not I'm tossing them." Can you help our reader out?

One of the comments was this:
You just bought your kid a McDonald's Happy Meal and you're freaking out about BPA?

These are the cups in question. Be careful even without being filled with soda they are potentially dangerous! LOL!

It made me think of the conversations we are having in an online book club for my homeschool group. We are discussing lies that homeschooling moms believe, and how being "real" with each other could help us avoid a lot of guilty, ugly, and negative feelings.

This is the book we are reading  and discussing online.


In being real, we need to be honest with one another. At the same time, understand that we all have our own convictions. 

For example, bad grammar or typos don't bother me at all. I hardly notice them. For others these things make it almost impossible for you to read! (Reading this blog must be a labor of love for some of you!)

We don't let our children have TV's in their bedrooms. Yet, we let them both have iPads with videos and netflix that can go in their bedrooms. Do I see the hyprocisy?

We don't allow our girls to have TV in their bedrooms. (Don't worry they get plenty of screen time!)


Sort of but it doesn't change the rules that we have made for our families. Michael and I are following what we feel is best for our kids.



I guess what I am trying to say is this,  the biggest part of being "real" is simply sharing yourself.

The mom, who slammed the questioning mom for serving her children McDonalds, did not even answer the question! All she did was share her opinion and hurt the first lady's feelings. 

It is not about being honest about your feelings of what someone else is doing. 

(Unless someone asks or is in danger)

It is being honest about your feelings and what you are doing. 


Hey, if you catch me sharing in a way that is hurtful or disrespectful. Please send me an email and let me know. My email address is on the right-hand side. 





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I agree. There is a difference between gently sharing your viewpoints with others and with being disrespectfully critical of others choices.

    ReplyDelete