It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Spring Break in Chicago Day 1

Nan and I took a small spring break trip to Chicago. Michael was already working in the city that week so we have a free place to stay and he even got to hang out with us some!


Eating some breakfast at the train station. This was our first time at this particular station so I was a bit worried about long term parking and finding my way around in addition to a winter storm we were currently experiencing. As usual, I over thought it and we arrived way early. Happily we ran into a friend who was taking the train into the city for a job interview. (happy to run into a friend; not happy that friend may take a job downtown and have to move away)

Nan kept herself busy on the train which was good because the aforementioned winter storm caused this trip to be almost 2 hours longer than expected!

Finally getting close to Chicago!
Weird cab ride: our driver pulls over on a bridge and says, "I will stop the meter but I need to get out." And he does! I wasn't sure what to do. Someone pulled up behind us and they exchanged somethings...yeah, let's pretend I may never have to testify about that. Finally he gets back in and says, "Thanks. I wouldn't see my friend again for a long time if I hadn't done that."  I just smile and nod because at this point, I am certain we just witnessed something illegal. (This cab ride is actually better then the one I took from the train station last year. We left the station, drove a block, and then drove into the back of a bus.)

Field Trip! Our first stop was the Field Museum. Nan has been here before but it is the kind of place you can visit again at a different stage in life and get something totally different out of it. Here she is trying to move a block that is the same size and weight as the ones the Great Pyramids are made out of. The last time Nan was here, she freaked out and refused to see the mummy stuff...there may have been tears. Just saying, I think we should always remind her of that!

Nan's first time using a Mold-a -Rama machine to make a dinosaur. I love the smell of the melted plastic! Growing up we had a membership to the Brookfield Zoo. They have several of these machines throughout the park. I LOVED the rare occasions  my parents let us waste a dollar on toys we were never really going to play with. For the record, we made an orange stegosaurus.


Nan taking a picture with Sue, the T-Rex.


Me taking a much more fun picture with Sue. I still can't tell if Nan thinks I am funny or is embarrassed...she snapped the picture so maybe the first one????

The museum has an extensive Native American exhibit. Here she is playing archaeologist and pretending to put pieces of broken pottery back together. For the record, we were able to visit the museum free! I was able to get in a teacher in Illinois and I am not sure why Nan was free...but she was. :)



Waiting in the hotel lobby for Michael. The lobby had special flavored waters each day. We made it our personal goal to try them all.

Our hotel room's view of the Chicago River.

Our hotel room's view of the iconic Chicago theatre and you can see some of the "L".

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fun trip to my favorite city in the whole world!

    ReplyDelete