It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

For Real

Last night I stayed home from my in-laws because I wanted to clean the living room carpet. I wish that I had played and worked on the farm with my family. After some health scares this past year, I made a promise to make the most of our time together, yet I waste perfectly good evenings cleaning the carpet.

Jo ate two granola bars today. I didn't pay attention and just let her pick from the snack cabinet, so I completely missed the fact that she picked Fiber One Bars. We are both paying for my lack of attentiveness.

Some days I have to practically shadow Nan in order to be sure she is completing her work in a timely fashion and doing so correctly.

We have people visiting this weekend, so I am going to try like 10 Pinterest recipes. I feel like researching this on pinterest is worthy of the time I am not spending supervising what Jo eats and Nan's efficiency at school.

My nephew had a bad day. Rather than being a safe landing place after his day at school, I made it worse.  I am thankful that although he never forgets anything, he is also quick to forgive me.

Did I mention that unbeknownst to me Jo found an open bottle of orange soda in the car and drank it while we waited in the pick-up line at the elementary school?  I cannot imagine how the staff and parents who saw are judging me: weird homeschooled family at the public school with a dirty 3-year old drinking soda.

I am wearing a shirt that I got for free my freshman year of college. It is pretty worn out and possibly stained. It is probably the sort of thing that should disappear or at least not be warn in public. (Did I mention that I picked up my nephew at school today?)

I have thrown away 3 bags of stuff in the last 2 days. Not even recycled or gave away...just plain old junk that I have no idea why I was keeping.

I made myself a daily check-off list that I need but am too embarrassed to use because it contains things that should be routine. (And I still couldn't check everything off.)

Did I brush my teeth today? I think so. Maybe I need to add that to the check-off list too??? 

I am way behind posting my Picture-of-the-Day Posts. I should be doing that but instead am being real with you.  What is something For Real about your day? 






4 comments:

  1. For real today my child punched a kid and I am struggling with not saying, "He had it coming." Or "I'm glad you stood up for yourself." Instead the responsible parent in me had to say, "You're grounded." and I'm not very happy that that was what I had to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We are both paying for my lack of attentiveness" made me snort:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For real, that fiber bar made me laugh. Keeping it real AND regular at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always make me smile.

    For real, I am so far behind in EVERYTHING that I can't even think of a 'for real.' I'm just a mess--and a HOT mess, at that!

    ReplyDelete