It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Friday, August 1, 2014

H & H Assignment: Body Image

This topic was assigned from my blog group. You can read Jen's Post or Carla's Post. One member is taking a pass on the topic, and this I completely understand.

When Carla assigned the topic, I groaned. Yuck. I don't really want to write about my body image...or even think about it. But then Jen assigned a post about raising daughters...and the connection is inescapable.


Our family loudly and dramatically says, "Whooty-Who!" if we catch a glimpse of someone naked or flashing a body part...yes, even Michael and I say it to each other! I am sure we are the only family to streak to the dryer, right? :)

Body image coming from me...hmmm. How if feel about my body? How I want to feel about my body? How I want my daughter's to feel?

For our family, weight is an issue. We fight it. We talk about it. We ignore it for months...and then get back to healthy eating and exercise....which is confusing because for us those two things are life-consuming. What we eat and finding time to exercise become what we talk about. It is like there are only two extremes.

Okay, obviously I am rambling...and I have already deleted half of what I wrote because it was so rambly...(is rambly a word???)so I don't really know what to type and this assignment is overdue.

Today I am wearing one of my favorite pairs of capris for the last time. The zipper won't stay up, one of the weird clip things on top has torn off and torn the fabric so it can't be repaired, and finally today I spilled coffee all over them....it is finished. I bought these on our honeymoon so they are 14 years old.

I think that probably says something about my view of body image...I wear 14 year old capris but after a difficult week, I can figure out what that something is.

Oh, and I have a funky toe nail that I am self-conscious about...so if anyone wants to analyze the capris, the toe nail, and the afore mentioned weight issues go for it...I apparently don't have a coherent thought on body image!




No comments:

Post a Comment