It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Monday, June 8, 2015

For Real

As much as we want to pretend it is not true, my father-in-law is not in good health. It stinks...a lot. When you have children, you need to talk about these things because if you don't,  they fill in the details themselves with a combination of information from movies, friends, overheard conversations, and their own imaginations. Most of these conversations end with Michael, Nan, and I just staring at each other's foreheads trying to avoid eye contact so we all don't cry. Jo doesn't get it which causes me both relief and concern.


After a weekend of fundraising, I should be elated but really I am just sinking lower and lower into sadness. All if this is about N1 and N2 and they aren't here to share that with. I can't explain how it feels to miss your kids every single day. It literally makes my stomach hurt to know that in less than two weeks I get to see them again only to have to leave them there. (And will have to go and leave them AGAIN one more time on our second trip.) 


I had a houseful of kiddos this weekend. When it was time for bed, I made teeth brushing and changing into pajamas optional. No one brushed their teeth. Half of them slept in their clothes. We drove through McDonalds each day for ice cream cones because it's hot and kids like ice cream. This is summer and this is sleepovers...deal with it people.


I made a new friend this week! She lives in my neighborhood and wants to plan a scavenger hunt for kids and adults. Yes, you should be jealous and consider moving here.


Jo peed in her pants today...2x. She told me this, "Don't worry about it mom. I hadn't changed from the first pee so it's good. I just pooped but that was in the toilet." Yes, she is supposed to go to kindergarten in the fall...we will just play that by ear.


People keep apologizing for the state of their minivans because of their kids.  I too have kids but we weekly clean out the van. We don't wash our sheets on regular basis. You choose your family's cleaning priorities and I choose mine, right?


I realized that I won't be able to spend N2's birthday with her. I don't know why I am taking this so hard. I have missed 11 of them...but it is different. This time she is mine and I won't be there to celebrate her. I know we can do it later but you and I know it isn't the same.


VBS is this week at our church. I have a love/hate relationship with VBS. I personally came to saving faith at VBS as a preschooler, so I see its value for even the youngest. Yet, as a volunteer I must ask, "Why in the world does it have to be 5 days and involve so much work?"


My sister and nephew arrive on TUESDAY at 8:39 pm. Good heavens I miss them.


Finally I had my front tooth fixed...it looks great but feels weird. It makes me think about almost every bite of food. Since I have shared about my new pants, it should come as no surprise to you or me that I appear to do a lot of chewing.


There is so much dog hair in my house. So much dog hair. So so so much dog hair. (soooooooooooo much dog hair.)




What is something For Real about you? 







No comments:

Post a Comment