It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Saturday, July 4, 2015

For Real




We merged the Barbie collections in our house. The first morning Jo cried, "Someone changed all of the Barbies' clothes."  Nan woke up two hours later and cried, "Jo messed up all the Barbie stuff." Thank God we don't have legos.   I.can.not.imagine.how.bad.that.would.be.


Our children did fine while we were gone for the most part. When we got home though, all hell broke loose. We cancelled events and made some changes to our family life...things are getting a little better but nothing is "fixed" and we still have two more trips. I honestly didn't expect this so I am feeling a little dazed.


My husband has to be out of town all this week for work. I am getting a resentful about it: he gets to be away from our cranky kids, sleep in a clean bed, and eat out all week. I have to be the parent, continue the house projects we are working on, and make the meals. He is scheduled to be out of town at several more days this month too...I know he didn't pick it but still I want to be scheduled to go out of town too!


Apparently I hoard educational and art materials. Like not just a little here and a little there....like a dozen boxes in the attic, 6 boxes in the garage, an entire closet not neatly organized but piled high so that you can't really use anything, and oh yeah, another walk-in closet full. I am overwhelmed by the wastefulness of this. I am overwhelmed by the amount of literal garbage I saved (How many oatmeal container crafts did I actually think I would make?). I am overwhelmed by the choices in curriculum and educational aids I have accumulated. Working my way through it all...and trashing and donating...and of course saving some.


In related news, I found the bag of stuff I bought when the teacher's store in Mattoon went out of business last month...


Our adoption facilitator says that we will have about a week's notice for our court date. She says that means she will call us to tell us the date and then we will travel about 4 days after that. She says it in a normal tone like this isn't the least bit crazy. It feels crazy to me and it makes me feel like I am crazy when she acts normal about it.


My cat is stressed out and licking all the fur off her belly. She did this last November when the girls and I were gone for over a month. She stopped and consequently stopped throwing up all that fur on the rug. The fur had grown back so she didn't looks so gross. She is gross again...and so needy.


When your pets and kids are the most unlovable, they need the most love. I KNOW this but I really want to be away from them all sometimes. (Like on a business trip where I can sleep in a hotel and eat out maybe???)


The carpet on my stairs is so disgusting that I am seriously considering just ripping it all out. I think that that bare boards would be better. I may just do it. Anyone else live with just the boards because it is a less gross option than carpet?


Nancy is going to be at camp all next week. I am already looking forward to it. I am already missing her. (Hmmm, how much longer until JoJo can go to camp????) 






What is something For Real about you? 








No comments:

Post a Comment