It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Monday, August 3, 2015

1st of 3 trips...the food (part 1)

You know I love food so there are lots of pictures of food. (I also took a lot of pictures of toilets...hmmm.)

 Our travel did not go as planned and we ended up with a layover in a completely different country than expected. With not enough time to leave the airport we still tried to have a "taste" of the country. We (finally!) boarded a plane and headed to our destination. We ended up there about a day late.

Here is the food (except one nondescript meal in an overcrowded Chili's during cancelled/delayed/rescheduled/missed flights in the O'Hare airport) during our first 4 days of travel.

This was the food on our long flight. We had real silverware, real glassware,  and real tea cups...and I was so sick that I ate one bite that I had to spit out.  (Yeah, it turns out that now I get sick on airplanes. I'm not sure if it is because of my inner ear issues or God making me more empathetic because my oldest daughter has terrible travel sickness.) 

Finally seven hours in Frankfurt (with a nap in the airport to recover) means that my tummy is settled and I am sooooo hungry. We eat here because they claim to be traditional German food. 

It is official: we are out of the US! (No ice in your drink) 
I pretty much ate both of his potato dumplings. They were awesome. 

I ordered the meatloaf...turns out it is more like fried Bologna. Needless to say Michael enjoyed it! 



Our first meal in country. That is a whole bowl of sour cream. :) 

Salad with some sort of traditional farm cheese. I wish I could have figured out what it was. This was one of the best things I ate the whole trip (and we ate a lot of great food!) 

Same cheese melted in phyllo dough with dill. Yes, it was that good. 

Local beer is cheaper than water, so this was the first of many. 


Part of my meal: potatoes (in the form of homestyle fries with bacon and dill)

The other part of my meal: potato pancakes (yes, I ordered potatoes with a side of potatoes)

Michael's meal: chicken crepes. 

Last meal....there wasn't one. Nothing was open when it was time to catch the bus. We saw a man setting up his coffee cart and convinced him to give us each espressos to go. (even in carts they often use real dishes)


 When you think about 4 days of travel, this isn't that many meals...because our time was not our own. (although that is a lot of food!) Sometimes we had these great meals and sometimes, we went an entire day with just a granola bar from our stash.

We only spent about 30 hours in the capitol city so there wasn't much exploring or eating. We will be back for an extended time on our third trip...with our girls!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love how adventurous you are about the food. And the beer...what can you do?! Sorry about your motion sickness...especially since you have so much travel in your future:( One of our kids is VERY prone to motion sickness. Jason wasn't very sympathetic until he got motion sick after too many roller coaster rides. He felt so bad that he thought it was his heart again...wouldn't believe us when we told him THAT was how motion sickness feels...bless his heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love how adventurous you are about the food--and that you took such great pictures (even though they are making me hungry!). I think the girls will appreciate that someday.

    ReplyDelete