It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

For Real



I went to bed early like way earlier than home almost every night of our vacation. I was only able to do that because I was on a real vacation: no responsibility. For Real: It was awesome.



My mother-in-law gave me my new favorite sweater as a Christmas gift. I am trying not to wear it more than two days in a row....but For Real:I want to live in it.



Since seeing a stage production of Tangled, JoJo has walked around with the frying pan from her kitchen play set. If you have seen the movie Tangled, this sort of makes sense. (sort of) Either way, I have to be sure she isn't sneaking it into her backpack for school or other places. For Real: She can be a tad eccentric (and I am not sure it is something she will ever outgrow.) 



I haven't worn my wedding band in almost 6 months. It isn't because I don't love my husband but rather I am too fat for it to fit now. For Real: this doesn't bother me as much as it should.



I came home from vacation ready to cut out sugar and caffeine. Yeah, that literally lasted one day. For Real: I eat a lot of sugar and I am convincing myself that I am just cleaning it out right now.



My children were so excited that they cleaned their closet and organized something. I can't tell any difference but I still oohhed and ahhhed and praised them for taking care of their belongings. For Real: my kids are so like me. I totally did stuff like this to my folks.



One child washed and dried her bedding today...with a dry erase marker. I told her to use a magic eraser to clean the dryer and that we will just have to live with the bedding (which aren't that bad). Thank God it was her own bedding and not the load of her and her sisters' laundry she had done next. They would not be as forgiving as me. I never yelled or anything, she was being way tougher on herself than I would have ever been. For real,  I feel like I deserve an award or something for not losing it.


I refused to pass the ketchup to my daughter until she answered a question with an answer other than, "I don't know." We had an awkward stand-off in a restaurant that lasted about 5 minutes. I was pretty sure it was one of those battles I shouldn't have picked but somehow we both gave a little and ended up with laughter and answers. For Real: HUGE sigh of relief.


Since we started the adoption process, my to-do list always has "clean off the desk" and "file paperwork" For Real: I thought it would get better after the girls were home but the paperwork is possibly worse because now I am not sending most of it off.



For Real: I totally dropped the ball on my husband's birthday last year. It was a big one...and I am not sure he even received a card. I had an idea for an overnight getaway for this year's birthday to make up for it but you know what? There is no way that is going to happen. As we get ready to celebrate his birthday again this year, I told him my plans and how I just couldn't make it happen. We dreamed a little together about it and he said, "Someday." I love that man for so many reasons especially because he is willing to  just roll with our crazy life and dream until "someday" with me.


I still really, really want an RV and spend time looking at them online. I am aware that we have zero dollars with which to purchase one. I am aware we don't really camp. I am aware that none of our friends really have RVs. For Real: If I came into a large chunk of money I would spend most of it wisely but then if there was anything left, I would totally, totally buy an RV.


For Real: I am really excited that I got to punish one of my new girls this past week. That means she is testing boundaries and being real with us. That is an excellent step in the right direction to truly becoming bonded to each other. (And no, Nancy, I am not ever excited about punishing you.) 


I really like my cat even if no one else in my family does. For Real: I talk to my cat about as much as I talk to any other member of my family.




What is something For Real about your life? 

1 comment:

  1. I always love these posts!!! :) I have cut both sugar AND Pepsi from my life. How amazing is that?! I feel at least five years younger. . .

    Chuckle over the desk-cleaning and ketchup battle. Good to know I'm not alone.

    Someday is a wonderful time to agree on. Love that!

    I would also love a ton of extra money to buy an RV, even though we aren't campers. It sounds nice. . .WE COULD CAMP TOGETHER!!!!!

    And getting to that stage in your relationship with your daughter. . .priceless!! YAY!! She is starting to feel safe enough to act out a little.

    ReplyDelete