It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Recent Reading





Eligible: A Modern Retelling of Pride and Prejudice 
by Curtis Sittenfeld
I received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway. That was exciting but it is probably the only reason that I went to the effort to finish the book. The book is divided into three parts and dozens and dozens of teeny tiny chapters which I found to be completely unnecessary and tedious. Speaking of tedious the author added way too many unnecessary details. For example, how Liz puts on lipstick and every street and house she ran past during her daily runs. 

The only positives to the book were the reality tv storyline and that the character of Jane was still likable. 

In the off chance you completely disagree with me and want to read this book. I don't want to spoil it but I am...so I warned you. Skip this part. Warning: Spoilers In this case the modern retelling was sleazy. Liz Bennett and Darcy become "f*%k buddies" and that later progress to having "hate sex". Not to mention that Liz has and over decade-long affair with a married Wickham before the novel even starts...rather than any of this making Liz look like the prideful but kind protagonist we all love, she is pathetic and unlikeable. 

If you are true Jane Austen fan, you will not enjoy this novel.

Even before Willie replied, Liz felt the loneliness of having confided something true in a person who didn't care. Still, when he spoke, it was more disappointing than she'd expected.

But if Liz wasn't close to her mother, neither was she consumed with the maternal resentment she had observed in some friends. Her mother had been adequate - often annoying, far from abusive.





When I Found You
by Catherine Ryan Hyde

My initial thoughts after finishing the book, was that I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. I wasn't deep into it but I was guessing it was because the main characters were male and they were really into hunting and boxing. Afer discussing this with my book club, I have come back to give it more stars. If you are someone who works with hurt kids (adoptive/foster/teacher/ect) consider reading this book to see the way that the characters deal with some undiagnosed mental health issues, how marriages suffer under the strain of a difficult child, and how commitment is the most important thing when dealing with hurt children.(yes, seriously, even more than love.) 



"I'm not sure why your grandmother didn't  tell you the truth. I think she had this idea that certain truths are not suitable for young people. But I feel differently. I feel that the truth is simply the truth. And that to shield someone from it is only a manner of treating that person with a lack of respect. I'm sure she didn't mean it that way, though. I'm sure she was doing what she thought was best."

No response.
Part of Nathan felt sorely tempted to insist on some response. But he'd been doing so much insisting lately.


All the Light We Cannot See
Anthony Doerr


Just last night I told someone that the book they were reading was a Pulitzer Prize Winner so I had suffered through it until the end. In my opinion, it never redeemed itself and I was frustrated. (I was at Book Club so I can say things like that there without being a boob. I would not say that to a random person I see reading a book.) When I had finished it and was major annoyed, my husband said something like, "A Pulitzer Prize book is a lot like an Academy Award movie in that sometimes they are just really weird and not good." That all being said, I was surprised when I added this picture and it said the book was a Pulitzer Prize winner...because I LOVED it.

I wish that I had quotes from this book but I read it too quickly. It was the kind of book you devour as soon as you can. Consequently I read it in big chunks late during two nights and every little block of time I had on the day in between those. The book made me look at the war from multiple human viewpoints: one we don't like to consider especially that there were those who were not victims of the war. It gave me an appreciation for my local public radio station.

2 comments:

  1. I was hoping for a really great recommendation for you as I fly out Sunday to go on a marriage cruise with my hubby (insert happy dance), but I've already read All the Light We Cannot See (and also enjoyed it). I need a really great, take-me-away kind of book for the plane, not modernized Jane Austen or depressing talk of raising challenging kiddos! :)

    ReplyDelete