It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Monday, February 15, 2016

Recent Reading



The Thing About Jellyfish
by: Ali Benjamin

This book is for middle schoolers and about middle schoolers. As an adult for an adult audience, I would not rate it this highly so don't get all critical on me! :) Seriously this book is completely age-appropriate yet contains the perfect amount of serious life situations and pre-teen drama. This would be a great parent/child read together book. 

I think this line gives a pretty good feel for the book because it shows that kids this age feel like most things don't make sense:
I listened to the words tumbling out of me, more words than I'd said in a long, long time. I could hear that they made no sense. No matter how hard I tried to explain, I couldn't make my explanation sound any more reasonable. 


Rising to the Challenge: My Leadership Journey
by: Carly Fiorina


It is the typical book put out by a presidential candidate. There were parts that I skimmed through a little faster because they were so political but in general, I enjoyed this book. She did a great job of presenting her stance on many subjects and introducing herself to you us. Recently I have been reading about breast cancer. Mrs. Fiorina is a survivor and candidly shares her experience. If this is a topic that interests you, I highly suggest skipping through other sections and just reading those chapters. 

This is not a political party stance but I enjoyed it way more than President Obama's book of the same type (The Audacity of Hope). Probably because she said what she needed to say in a lot less pages which is the perfect formula this type of book. (hint, hint to future candidates)

When she says this, I want to put it in the comments of every single person on Facebook who puts an ugly and unnecessary political meme or shares a mean-spirited post about a person running for (or currently in) office: 
Of course, most of the media encourage the discord and the potshots. Conflict is news, and nasty conflict is big news. All of this not only cheapens our political discourse, it discourages mutual respect and civility. Leaders set a tone for culture. 


The Mayo Clinic Breast Cancer Book

This book is written more as a guide for people who have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. That being said, it is more of a resource book than the type of book you read cover-to-cover. I did read several chapters in their entirety. There are many charts, graphs, and illustrations that delivered information an easy-to-understand "bites."

No comments:

Post a Comment