It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start. -Mother Teresa

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Thank you, Carrie Fisher!

For the record, I am not a Star Wars fan...at all.

(If you are still reading it is because you agree with me or you deeply love me and forgive me of this sin.)

I live in a house with Star Wars fans and still barely pretend to be interested as my 6-year old daughter babbles on and on about it.

The truth is that I don't really know Carrie Fisher. I didn't watch her movies or even read any of her books. I knew her more for being Debbie Reynolds' daughter than anything she did on her own.

This past year I did enjoy listening to her interview on NPR as she promoted her new book. In fact, I looked for it online after listening to it, just so I could listen again. I wanted to be sure that I had jotted down a quote from her correctly. As I blog or share my life with others through social media or in person, I try to keep this quote in mind. That is why this hangs beside my computer:



It creates community when you talk about private things, and you can find other people who have the same thing.  - Carrie Fisher on NPR Fresh Air 2016



I really appreciated how comfortable and candid Carrie was about her life. I admire that about her and about others who do the same. I hope her legacy is less about her gold bikini and double-braided buns and more about her honest approach to sharing especially about mental illness.


You can listen the complete interview here:

No comments:

Post a Comment